Effective: June 1, 2004
Owner: Assistant Vice President for Research Administration in the Office of Sponsored Programs
Latest Revision: August 28, 2018
This procedure covers the handling of sponsored program award-projects that are in budget deficit.
The Director of Post Award in the Office of Sponsored Programs is responsible for day-to-day oversight of budget deficits as they pertain to sponsored program award-projects.
University faculty and staff who submit proposals or process awards in connection with sponsored projects and awards.
The Assistant Vice President for Research Administration in the Office of Sponsored Programs is responsible for ensuring that this procedure is necessary, reflects actual practice, and supports University policy.
This activity is performed by the responsible PI departments and by OSP Post Award:
- OSP Post Award identifies sponsored program projects in overdraft status while preparing financial reports or invoices.
- OSP Post Award contacts the fiscal contact assigned to the Award in the Integrated System.
- If, corrective action has not been taken to clear the deficit, OSP Post Award moves the deficits to department F&A award.
- OSP will use standard comments in the expenditure batches for easy identification of deficit transactions, as follows: “Cost Sharing – to transfer project/award overrun to a non sponsored program account.”
- Any deficit charges that are cleared via this process may not be moved back onto any sponsored program source without written approval from the Director of Award Management and Accounting in the Office of Sponsored Programs.
- Deficits originating from any of the following ACTIVE accounts will NOT be moved to a departmental overhead award without direct contact from OSP: clinical trial accounts; preliminary accounts; program income accounts.
NOTE: For all communications, the department personnel should use the firstname.lastname@example.org email address.
End of Activity